Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Savage Inequalities: Other People's Children

If you've been following my blog, you would know that Savage Inequalities is a book I'm reading about the inequalities in the public school system. It is a thought provoking novel written by Jonathan Kozol to expose those inequalities and hopefully inspire the reader to want to do something about it. The chapter I'm replying to is called "Other People's Children". It was given this name because of the chapter emphasis on how some people from the more wealthy part of society don't want "other people's children", mostly the poor, to be integrated and ultimately competing with their own children. The chapter is filled with many more reasons why the schools are so unequal. Kozol quotes a Chicago mother, "The same bank presidents who offer gifts to help our segregated schools, are the ones who have assured their segregation...they are the ones who send their kids to good schools in Winnetka and who vote against the equalizing plans to give our public schools more money. Why should we trust their motives? They may like to train our children to be good employees. That would make their business more profitable. Do they want to see our children taking corporate positions from their children?"
This passage really spoke to me. In a world where people only care about money, and will do anything for it, I don't have a hard time believing or agreeing with this mother. The principles of these inner city Chicago high schools know they can get funding for classes that are more job oriented. Classes teaching students filing skills, not math but "business math", and cosmetology". Classes training students to be good employees. The CEO's and corporations thrive on these workers. I understand why principle of these high school would take the money to fund these classes. It is better than nothing and at least these kids can have basic skills they need to find a job. However, I cannot help but be upset that it teaches these kids they will never be anything more than a secretary. I believe they should be pushed and offered classes where they can learn what interests them, and have dreams to be whatever they like. This book has started to open my eyes even more to problems that are so close to me, yet that I am so segregated from. If I have learned anything, it's that I've been taking my education for granted. I plan on using my good education and turning it around to someday be able to make a difference in the lives of other students less fortunate then me.

2 comments:

  1. I feel like these classes are almost beneficial during these tough economic times where getting a job in marketing or teaching may be harder than just a simple secretary. Those jobs sometimes are the start to a career. I also agree when you say the kids should be in challenging classes that push their knowledge in subject areas such as algebra, history, etc. At Deerfield we have the opportunity to explore different classes like ceramics, photography, and child development, as well as the core classes. We are really lucky that we go to a great school that provides each student with equal opportunities to be successful. Ahhhh-some blog Raquel! Love your haircut

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that these classes are good for finding a job in this economy, but then all schools should be teaching them. When they are only offered in inner city school it gives those teens the impression that only they are meant for those jobs while white kids in the suburbs are meant to be doctors, lawyer, etc.

    ReplyDelete