Monday, January 23, 2012

Hidden Bias Test

After taking the online Hidden Bias Test, the results suggest I have a slight preference to White people compared to Black people. I was surprised with my results, I really thought I would not show any bias towards race. I think reasoning behind all the errors were that my finger got so used to clicking one key that eventually when a word appeared that belonged to the other side I was automatically still clicking the key for the other side without thinking about the word or picture that appeared. I guess though there could have been some unconscious associations in my brain that connect negative words with the Black race because of stereotypes and jokes in my mostly white environment. Also the unfamiliarity with the Black race could cause some of my bias.
"Studies show people can be consciously committed to egalitarianism, and deliberately work to behave without prejudice, yet still possess hidden negative prejudices or stereotypes" (Teaching Tolerance).
This suggests reasons on why I was surprised my test showed a slight preference for White people. Although I am not racist in conscious decisions and judgements I make in my everyday life, it is still possible I have an unconscious bias mostly as a result of my environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment